$ 7 737 720 (Estimation: 6 800 000 €) Collalto sabino, Italy
CASTELLO BARONALE - LAZIO, ITALY
An impressive and historical Castle dating back to 1350 with a fort dating back to 950 AD.
The residential part of this remarkable Castle was modified by every noble family that owned it, which included famous Italian nobility such as the Savellis, the Strozzis and the Soderini family from Florence. The presence of every owner is clear in the form of family crests or architectural modifications. The most important occupant was Cardinal Barberini, nephew of Pope Urban VIII, who purchased the Castle in 1641. The famous family symbol, the bee, which is above the main altar in the Vatican is also seen all around the Castle.
The Castle was restored to its former glory in the 19th Century and more recently in 1988 when it underwent major restoration and refurbishment. Further enhancements were carried out by its present owners in 2006.
All rooms enjoy both external hillside views as well as internal courtyard views due to the Castle being built in a V shape.
The central part of the Castle consists of a very well maintained and lived in environment comprising of 9 bedrooms that sleep a total of 19 persons, 7 bathrooms, with the possibility of further bedrooms, 3 drawing rooms, a grand ballroom, a study, library and theatre.
The property has a footprint of approximately 3,000 sqm set in just under 7,000 sqm of carefully maintained gardens with just over 10,000 sqm of additional land located adjacent to the Castle walls. Outbuildings include gatekeeper’s private residential quarters, a tavern with a medieval oven and a number of utility and storage rooms.
The Castle also boasts a separate and private self-contained apartment consisting of 2 double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large combined living and dining room, and kitchen. This apartment is serviced by a lift from the servants’ quarters.
The old fort, which is the most historical part of the Castle is located within the Castle grounds, and arguably one of the most impressive parts of the Castle. It has not been touched since the 17th Century when the construction of the Clock Tower by Cardinal Barberini took place. It is from here that one can truly appreciate the beautiful rolling countryside, thanks to superb 360 degree views of the hills
and some of Italy’s most spectacular mountains and ski resorts.
Grounds and Gardens:
The property is accessed through the drawbridge, which takes one onto the main village square. Alternatively there is a spectacular driveway that runs through the extensive and well kept private and secluded park and garden.
The landscaped gardens have been maintained beautifully over the past 15 years and designed in such a way that every season it is fully in bloom.
The same very rare Cedar of Lebanon trees that are found in the Vatican gardens were planted in the gardens surrounding the Castle by Cardinal Barberini.
The tennis court and heated pool are barely visible and tucked away behind the trees and creepers.
The flat area with covered grass around the fort is a perfect location for entertaining.
• 9 bedrooms
• 4 receptions
• 7 bathrooms
• Swimming pool
• Secondary accommodation
• Tennis court
• Staff accommodation
• Utility Rooms
• 2995.9 Sq m ca.