In the old town of Sannicandro Garganico, Norman Castle, 30 km from San Giovanni Rotondo and 10 minutes from the sea; a beautiful structure, with the possibility of division into apartments. Very good for investment.
The Sannicandro Garganico Castle has a quadrangular structure with 4 towers at thecorners. The Castle was built to defend the Gargano area from the saracen pirates. According to some sources, was built around the fifth century, according to others in 1095.
And 'situated in the center of town, which formerly had to be on that hill (224 m) very strategic in terms of military logistics. As far as can be deduced from historical sources, the first building would consist of a tower and defense, where you werestationed a garrison of soldiers already in the Norman period.
In the Aragonese period the tower was leaning against the building of the Castle in the current perimeter, and was carried down a "fortification" of the first settlement that was built around: massive interventionthat we receive South side of the round towers and the survivors of the western wall.
In the sixteenth century, however, is certifiable the construction of a loggia connecting the Castle with a large palace built between the door and the east-walls of the “castellum”.
Other interventions, probably for defensive purposes or adjustment due to newrequirements of logistics, there were in the Baroque period and finally in the mid-twentieth century, when it was renovated internally in order to become a private residence: the new entrance was created on the east side of Castle, so thedrawbridge that hung over the existing roadway was closed permanently.